BENEFITS OF ICE BATHS
- Decreased fatigue
- Quicker muscle recovery
- Increased blood flow to the muscles
- Improved performance
- Quicker injury recovery time
- Weight loss
- Decreased anxiety
- Psychological competitive edge
- Tighter and healthier skin
How to Benefit from Your Ice Bath
Here’s how they get the maximum benefit from their ice bath – and you can too!
- Straight after training (as soon as possible) run your ice bath or have it prepared before you begin your exercise
- Stay warm while the ice bath is being prepared. Double up on clothing while you wait, (consider staying warm with a hat and even mittens!). We don’t want you to cool down before using the ice bath.
- Slide into the Ice bath (and try to squeal like a baby!). Consider keeping your top on to ensure that the upper half of the body stays warm.
- Sit in it for approximately 5 – 10 minutes. (Some professionals recommend 12 minutes as the magic number but do not force yourself to sit that long, you can gradually build up to this time if it is to cold to begin with).
- Sit upright and stretch your legs out in front of you allowing any swelling of the joints to be reduced.
- When your ready, slide out of the ice bath, peel of your top( if you decided to keep it on) and take a VERY BRIEF shower with tepid water – 30 seconds to 1 minute. Scrub quickly!
- Grab a bite to eat (some healthy sandwiches are perfect) and begin a post-excercise stretch. Some people prefer to do their stretch before using the ice bath, this is entirely up to you and you should try both ways to find out what gives you the best result.